On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Alex Milowski <a...@milowski.org> wrote:

>> WebKit currently applies XSLT to document source, not to pre-built DOM. This
>> is different from Firefox, but in strict compliance to the spec.
>
> WebKit currently applies XSLT to a serialization of the pre-build XML
> DOM.  As such, we have several bugs relating to cases where that
> serialization is not the same as the data received off the wire.

My belief, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that once the XML
has been parsed and built into a DOM, applyXSLTransform() at
Document.cpp:3954 is eventually called with the correct XSLT from some
xml-stylesheet processing instruction.  With the libxslt, the DOM is
serialized back into a string so it can be loaded into their internal
format as they don't provide a way to give them a pre-existing DOM.

I've been trying to trace through all the places where XSLT is used
and how this all fits together.  Finding an alternative to libxslt is
something I think is a worthwhile endeavor due to the inability to
integrate tightly with a pre-built DOM instance.

--
--Alex Milowski
considered."