My argument is less "it's the Web developer's fault" than it is "the Web
developer should have control." I am hardly a sophisticated Web developer but I
have javascript from a different  domain that must be loaded first and I have
Google analytics, which I should load after the rest of the page (though to be
honest I'm not sure I do after my redesign... hm). While I would love it if
there were standardized rules for which scripts would be loaded synchronously
and which wouldn't, I would hate it if one browser required me to move my
scripts to a different domain.

Having said all that, I hate it when I have to wait for a resource out outside
of my control, so I'd love to see a solution to this. If there were a more
reliable way than simple domain checking to prioritize content, that would be
fantastic. I think ideally this is something for the standards board - perhaps
an extension of the script and link tags to specify a priority, or something
like that.

Jerry