On 5/18/11 2:09 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Brent Fulgham <bfulg...@webkit.org <mailto:bfulg...@webkit.org>> wrote:

    Google
    used this same approach with their Chromium port, the side effects of
    which find us in year two (or three?) of the effort to merge those
    changes back into the core WebKit archive.

Um, what? The Chromium port is fully upstreamed and has been for some time. I'm not sure what you're saying here. We are not forked and in fact have no support for building Chromium with anything other than upstream WebKit.

And as a web app developer, I've been happy to push bug fixes into WebKit via Chromium bug reports.

I heard from RIM that they're working hard to get their fork back in line with WebKit upstream; they've contributed a lot of work to WebKit upstream, but are not yet merged back in... That's what I heard.

I think Brent's question to the list may have some merit if looked at from a different perspective. Let me try it... Peter: Are there any lessons learned about that process Chromium went through?

As a coder, I certainly see that fork and merge process as a normal process -- a company forks from the upstream, works on the code base within their own product, and at some point their use becomes mature and they're able to merge back in with the upstream.

Are there any insights to that process -- or even estimates -- such as -- it took us "x" months once we had WebKit working for us, to get back to building directly with the upstream.

Little bits of information like that may be helpful to some WebKit vendors.

-Charles