On May 23, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Patrick Mueller wrote:

> On 5/20/11 12:46 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
>> What incentive will users have to enable it? For other privacy sensitive
>> features (be it cookies or geolocation), there is a clear benefit to gain
>> from them.
>
> This is a developer-mode feature.  There is no direct incentive for end users
> to enable something like Resource Timing.  However, it's not hard to imagine
> a site suggesting that people could enable Resource Timing, and have that
> timing information sent back to the site for analysis, much the same way many
> programs today allow users to opt-in to sending diagnostic information back
> to a server somewhere.

Hi Patrick,

I may have misunderstood the feature, but I don't think that is the intent. I
believe that Resource Timing and Navigation Timing are meant to be on in a
normal user configuration. Websites can then make use of these APIs to get
real-world performance data in the field, from users' machines.

If the feature was meant to be opt-in and for developers only, then that would
greatly reduce my concerns.

Perhaps someone more familiar with these APIs can explain the design.

Regards,
Maciej