On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mark Rowe <mr...@apple.com> wrote:
> On 2011-07-10, at 10:52, Adam Barth wrote:
>> Hi webkit-dev,
>>
>> In trying to understand how our LayoutTest results system works, I've
>> created a digram of the fallback graph among the various
>> platform-specific directories:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1z65SKkWrD4Slm6jobIphHwwRADyUtjOAxwGBVKBY8Kc/edit?hl=en_US
>>
>> Unfortunately, the fallback graph is not a tree, as one might imagine
>> initially.  I'd like to propose two small changes, which will
>> hopefully make the system more sensible globally.  I'm happy to do all
>> the work required to make these changes:
>>
>> 1) The "win" port should fall back either to "all" (the platform
>> independent results) or to "mac," but not to "mac-snowleopard", as it
>> does currently.  (I slightly prefer "all", but "mac" would also be
>> fine with me.)
>
> I'd argue that falling back to "mac" doesn't make any sense.  The regression
> tests are run against a WebKit using the latest shipping Safari's version of
> the underlying dependencies.  That almost always corresponds to the latest
> shipping Mac OS X release's components, and not to the components from future
> versions of Mac OS X.

There appears to be almost zero practical different between "win"
falling back to "mac" versus falling back to "mac-snowleopard":

abarth@quadzen:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform$ find mac -name "*.png" | wc -l
    6688
abarth@quadzen:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform$ find
mac-snowleopard/ -name "*.png" | wc -l
       3

> I also think that falling back to "all" would only be advisable if we were to
> also switch Windows DRT away from the legacy Mac-style form controls and
> rebaseline all of the Windows test results. We've shied away from this in the
> past because it would result in a big increase in the number of
> Windows-specific results.

I suspect there's actually an invisible "apple" port (which is a peer
to "chromium", "gtk", and "qt") that should hold those common
baselines.

Adam