I have no immediate objection to removing the shared iframe feature since, as
you say, it's a source of problems, very few apps use it, and no apps require
it. It's great that we did this feature through a pre-existing web technology,
so we discovered its problems, and can now remove it, without creating a huge
API surface area burden along the way.

> On a contrary, 'shared application state' could be a good idea, however this
> particular way to implement it unfortunately is very difficult to get right.
> There are no Google applications that use this feature currently, and there
> is understanding of the costs involved. There is a possibility that some
> other idea can both address the potential need and be reliably implementable
> at the same time. Workers, for example, are a good case of limiting the
> surface that also limits design/maintenance costs. Perhaps something similar
> can be proposed for shared state. However, there was a discussion in Chromium
> and it appears that ongoing design and maintenance of magic iframe is not
> worth the benefit the feature provides for the applications.

This doesn't sound so good to me.

The main problem you identified with shared iframes -- the fact that
permissions and live objects are typically associated with a single top-level
page, and can get confused in the context of sharing between pages -- sounds
like a problem with sharing, and not a problem with iframes as the mechanism
for sharing. I don't support "Sharing is hard and nobody uses it, therefore
let's add sharing through workers".

Geoff