On Apr 27, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpra...@chromium.org> wrote:

>> BTW, the page at <https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/DeprecatingFeatures> seems to
>> be using "deprecate" in the sense of "remove entirely". Is that what is
>> meant? If so, I think it would be helpful to change the wording to "removing
>> features". In non-Web contexts, deprecate often means a step short of
>> removal.
>
> I agree that "Removing features" is clearer and more to the point :).
> When to deprecate features in the sense of "we recommend you use this
> other feature instead" is an entirely different conversation.

Now that I look closer, I see that it says:

"Deprecating a feature means we will remove it in the future. Deprecation is
not meant as a usage metric collection or to assess web-developers' reactions."

This seems to imply that there actually is a step of deprecation that comes
prior to removal. What exactly is this step? How are features supposed to be
marked deprecated? What is the effect of being deprecated, if any, other than
future removal? Does anyone who was at the session know the answer?

My own recommendation would be to just remove features that we've decided to
remove. Any data gathering related to potential removal should happen before we
make a decision.

Regards,
Maciej