On Jan 8, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Sam Weinig <wei...@apple.com> wrote:

> Hello webkit-dev,
>
> We are making some changes to the development process for WebKit2. These
> changes were announced to reviewers in advance, and I'd like to share them
> with you now.
>
> WebKit2 has a core set of functionality that is valuable to all ports, and
> then aspects that are only of limited/specialized interest. It is becoming
> increasingly difficult to improve and advance the core functionality while
> maintaining the more peripheral aspects. In addition, changes to the core
> often require significant expertise to evaluate, for instance to ensure that
> the security and responsiveness goals of WebKit2 are met.
>
> The changes are:
>
> 1) WebKit2 now has owners. Only owners should review WebKit2 patches. While
> we do not want to apply this concept across the whole WebKit project at this
> time, for WebKit2 it is appropriate. The list of owners is documented in the
> Owners file at the WebKit2 top level directory, and in committers.py.
>
> 2) Ports must keep themselves building. Non Apple Mac ports, if broken by
> core functionality changes to WebKit2, are now responsible for fixing
> themselves. We have asked those who run the EWS bots to make sure that
> failing to build WebKit2 does not block the commit queue from committing.

I didn't see a settlement on this point of the proposal on previous
discussions. Did you elaborate on the feedback that you got when you asked for
that the first time? I think it is a question of fair play to not leave core
build bots of other platforms broken. That is what we agreed on WebKit and I
don't see the reason why it should be different on WebKit2 (which is a part of
WebKit). That doesn't mean that the other suggestions aren't reasonable.

Greetings,
Dirk