I have looked at YAML off and on over the years, and I'm not sure that
it would be much of an improvement in this case.

I do believe that dropping the strict python syntax could make some
things easier to read. I don't have a fully-baked proposal in mind,
and I don't know what the perf hit would be.

I will also note that -- like in many languages -- it's easy to write
hard-to-read files. GYP has never had much of a style guide, and it
probably could greatly benefit from one.

It is important to make a fair apples-to-apples comparison for
whatever we end up looking at. I suspect that given any tool or
language, you can find some things that are easy to express and some
that are harder. Even the existing chromium gyp files are not
necessarily a model of clean code or good style.

Also, one thing that's important to realize about GYP's syntax is that
it is very set-based; the order things appear in the files is much
less important than in many other languages (especially in how they
handle conditionals, i.e., if/then/else). This has many advantages,
but does also have some disadvantages.

-- Dirk