 From: Thibault Imbert <timb...@adobe.com>
To: Oneal Bluce <onealbl...@yahoo.com>; Benjamin Poulain <benja...@webkit.org>
Cc: "webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org" <webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Is there a plan for supporting multi-process and
WebCL in webkit

Hi Oneal,

Yes, leveraging multicore and the power of GPUs for general computations is
great and very powerful but first, securing such kernels is hard, and authoring
these would be pretty brutal to most web developers, I think this is what
Benjamin was referring to.

With WebCL, you are basically writing C style kernels that you load and run to
drive the computations, initiatives like RiverTrail are more restrictive but
way more approachable and closer to the web, exposing higher level primitives
on top of WebCL (ParallelArray for example) and integrated at the language
level, which makes a lot of sense.

You can also rely on Web Workers which are now broadly available, also
abstracted through libraries like Parallel.js. You won't get shared memory, but
improving data passing performance between workers may be a more interesting
problem to solve in the short term, with lots of value to most developers.

Thibault