On Tuesday the Safari team upstreamed the Safari Web Inspector to WebKit as a
new top-level project — WebInspectorUI. This version of Web Inspector is nearly
two years in the making. We now feel it is time to share our hard work with the
WebKit project and further accelerate developer tool innovation with help from
all of you.

The previous Web Inspector UI is still part of WebCore and is used by a number
of ports currently. However, the previous version of Web Inspector is largely
unmaintained at this point — since the departure of Chromium back in April. At
this time, we would like to deprecate the previous Web Inspector and encourage
ports to move over to using the new WebInspectorUI project.

We realize a transition like this can't happen overnight. For starters, the
current UI assumes the Mac platform with keyboard shortcuts and other
conventions. Another area would be making it work with the Inspector protocol
vended over a WebSocket. To facilitate a smooth transition for ports, we are
ready to help and review patches to get issues resolved as quickly as possible.

We hope you are as excited about this as we are, and are looking forward to
working with all of you to make Web Inspector even better!

— Timothy Hatcher