>> I think this use of “auto” is net harmful.
>
> I disagree. I think the use of auto is an improvement, because it makes it
> less likely that we have something like the following:
>
> int wrong = something.get64BitInt(); // potential truncation

This argument is a red herring for two reasons:

(1) The example under consideration does not return an integer.

(2) The compiler warns about implicit integer truncation, and does not allow
implicit truncation from int64 to int32 without a cast.

> Don’t we have this same problem with all of our JavaScript, Python, and Ruby
> code? We don’t have type specifications in those languages, but we manage to
> build large software with them as well.

To the contrary, we have never built anything the size of WebKit using Python.

Geoff