So I looked closer at my functions...

void maximize(void) {
    gtk_window_maximize(GTK_WINDOW(window));
    gtk_window_fullscreen(GTK_WINDOW(window));
    gtk_window_set_decorated(GTK_WINDOW(window), FALSE);
}

This function in particular I am calling. If I comment out the
gtk_window_fullscreen() function
the browser appears and is not minimized.... When I put this function back
in - the application
is always minimized and is NOT fullscreen.

Any thoughts?

Jerry