> On Jul 16, 2016, at 8:45 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annu...@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> For example, I'm looking at fast/canvas/shadow-offset-* now. They are pixel
> tests now.

The simplest efficient way to turn these into reference tests that check that
no red is visible would be by having the test function in shadow-offset.js file
take an argument to tell it whether it’s the reference or the test. For the
reference, it would skip the step where we fill with red (skip the fillRect
that happens just after setting fillStyle to red). Then the test would fail if
any red shows.

The downside of switching to this is that we’d no longer have pixel tests, and
so no longer be testing anything else other than that the red square is
obscured. If our initial premise is that we’re not making real use of pixel
test results, then we shouldn’t worry about preserving these tests that we are
not using.

With a bit more work we could make better reference tests that would truly
fully replace the pixel tests; we would have to write alternate code to
generate each of the reference images without using shadows. I think that would
likely be relatively straightforward, but it would require a bit more thought
about drawing multiple rectangles. Should be easy for the two tests with
platform independent results (1 and 2), but harder for the ones that involve
blurs, because we’d have to find some other way to render the blurs.

— Darin