> On Jan 10, 2017, at 9:46 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fra...@apple.com> wrote:
>
> auto countOfThing = getNumberOfThings();
> ASSERT(countOfThing >= 0);  // Can’t tell by reading whether the ASSERT is
> assured at compile time if countOfThing is unsigned

I understand wanting to know, but I am not certain this is a bad thing.

> auto thingLength = getLengthOfThing();
> IntSize size(thingLength, 2); // Can’t tell by reading if thingLength is
> LayoutUnit or float and thus truncated here.

Makes total sense to me. This is a bad pattern.

> Another common issue in code I’m not familiar with is something like:
>
> auto fancyStyleThing = styleMagic.styleThingForDoohicky()
>
> where it maybe obvious to the author what the type of fancyStyleThing is, but
> without looking at StyleMagic::styleThingForDoohicky() I have no idea what it
> is, and Xocde doesn’t help me. You argue above that maybe I don’t need to
> know the exact type, but often I do if I’m trying to figure out how various
> components relate to each other, rather than studying the logic of one
> specific function.

If the type of fancyStyleThing was given here it would not tell you the type of
styleThingForDoohicky; it would tell you what type we are assigning to but
there could be a type conversion.

— Darin