> 4 нояб. 2019 г., в 1:37 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> написал(а):
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:40 AM Alexey Proskuryakov <a...@webkit.org
> <mailto:a...@webkit.org>> wrote:
>
> Can you elaborate on that, how exactly is e-mailing on first failure useful
> to reviewers?
>
> Getting rid of Bugzilla comments was one of the goals of EWS rewrite, based
> on engineering feedback about noise in bugs and in e-mail, and I
> wholeheartedly agree with this feedback. So I think that comments are
> generally undesirable.
>
> Since I don't understand what your precise scenario is, I may be make straw
> man arguments below, but here are some things that I think make the proposed
> behavior unhelpful (add a comment on first failure, or when all EWSes pass).
>
> 1. EWS comments in Bugzilla are so annoying that some people take the radical
> step of manually hiding them. EWS history is archived anyway, there is no
> need to look into comments for it.
>
> 2. There are often many people CC'ed on the bug to whom EWS data is
> irrelevant or even mysterious (e.g. reporters, web developers or
> non-reviewers). The noise is a slight annoyance, discouraging further
> participation in the project.
>
> 3. I believe that for most reviewers, the mode of operation is one of the
> two: (1) do it when pinged directly, or (2) go over the review queue when one
> has the time. Getting EWS comments helps neither.
>
> 4. Commenting when all EWSes pass is not very practical - it's too often that
> we have some stragglers that take days (or forever). I don't think that we
> can make it reliable even if we start actively policing EWS responsiveness.
>
> 5. The reviewer likely wants to know the state of multiple EWSes if they are
> going to wait for EWS at all. What exactly are they going to do after getting
> an e-mail that one EWS failed?
>
> I often use a EWS failure as a signal to wait reviewing a patch. Otherwise, a
> bug mail will stay in my inbox as one of items to get to.
>
> I can see the usefulness in the somewhat unusual case of a super urgent
> patch. We may want multiple people to watch it, so that members of CC list
> would go and ask the patch author to update it with more urgency than e-mail
> allows for. I think that opt-in is a better mechanism for that, so that
> people who opted in would receive information about each EWS data point.
>
> I think there is a value in knowing that a patch isn't ready instead of
> having to open the bug to realize that.

So just to clarify,

- a major part of how you get to review bugs is by being CC'ed, and you review
them when you have the time to read bugmail;
- and you don't open the bug in Bugzilla if there is already an EWS failure by
the time you read the e-mail where review is requested?

That's clearly a valid benefit. In my mind, it probably doesn't outweigh the
downsides. On the other hand, yours is a voice of someone who reviews way more
patches than Maciej and me combined these days, so maybe more e-mail is an
overall benefit to many of the reviewers.

- Alexey