> On Sep 16, 2020, at 11:32 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
> Every data member to a ref counted object must use either Ref, RefPtr, or
> WeakPtr. webkit.NoUncountedMemberChecker
> <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/docs/analyzer/checkers.rst#id17>My
>  only worry here is performance. Do we know yet if we can afford it?

The worst case here is Ref, which is much worse than a reference since we end
up having to use -> instead of . everywhere and you can’t see that there is no
null involved.
> Every ref counted base class, if it has a derived class, must define a
> virtual destructor. webkit.RefCntblBaseVirtualDtor
> <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/docs/analyzer/checkers.rst#id16>The
>  style system has an optimization that intentionally violates this for
> performance reasons (StyleRuleBase).
> Every ref counted object passed to a non-trivial function as an argument
> (including "this" pointer) should be stored as a Ref or RefPtr in the
> caller’s local scope unless it's an argument to the caller itself by
> transitive property [1]. alpha.webkit.UncountedCallArgsChecker
> <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/docs/analyzer/checkers.rst#id21>What
>  is a non-trivial function?
> Every ref counted object must be captured using Ref or RefPtr for lambda.
> webkit.UncountedLambdaCapturesChecker
> <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/docs/analyzer/checkers.rst#id18>Ref,
>  RefPtr, or WeakPtr, right?

Same concern about Ref vs references.
> Local variables - we’re still working on this
> (https://reviews.llvm.org/D83259 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D83259>)
I am looking forward to learning more about the proposal here.

Same concern about Ref vs. references.

I really want to see before/after for some non-trivial source files with
significant problems; where will this drive the most change and what will
things look like after?

— Darin