On Thu, Feb 17 2022 at 05:41:34 PM +0000, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez via webkit-dev <webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org> wrote:
If I understand this correctly, that would mean that we would have to
support the libraries that we rely on, up to a version that may be quite
old.

Right now we are supporting a cycle of 2+1=3 (both debian and ubuntu
release each 2 years). And this change would mean that we would have to
extend the period up to 3+2=5 which is quite more.

Yes.

I think this may cause tension in the future regarding supporting the
usual GNOME libraries that move fast: GTK, GStreamer, etc

Possibly, yes. In practice, I think we're already in the habit of keeping #ifs for older dependencies around for longer than is required by our policy, so I suspect it will probably not be *too* annoying compared to our current practice.

I wish this would benefit Ubuntu as well, but in practice it won't, since they cannot keep up with our toolchain requirements, and Apple doesn't want to support older toolchains. That's tough to square. :/

To give some data, the last version of RHEL is 9 (released on Nov 2021)

Nov 2021 was RHEL 9 beta. We are planning to release RHEL 9.0 this coming spring.

which means that we would support RHEL 8 up to Nov 2023. And RHEL 8 was
released on May 2019 and includes this versions of libraries we use:

gstreamer = 1.16
gtk = 3.22
glib = 2.56
libsoup = 2.62
cairo = 1.15
icu = 60.3

Yes, though keep in mind I'm proposing to match the latest minor release (currently RHEL 8.5), not the earliest minor release (RHEL 8.0). We used to update desktop package versions fairly aggressively in RHEL 7 (so long as they don't break API/ABI), but in RHEL 8 we have been more conservative and have mostly stopped doing so. So in practice, yes, most of those versions are indeed unlikely to change.

Also if we are going to do this, and we are serious about it, then we
would need at least two new buildbots at build.webkit.org for testing
the build on the last two versions of RHEL.
Is RedHat going to provide the resources for the bots and is going to
help taking care of things when they broke there?

That seems like a reasonable request. I'll delay modifying the policy until I'm able to provide an answer regarding the requested bots. We'd probably have them run CentOS Stream rather than actual RHEL. I suppose that's what we should target with the dependencies policy, as well, since it's simpler than having to know the difference between different RHEL minor releases.

What we *really* want most of all is JSC EWS for aarch64, ppc64le, and s390x. Adding a couple x86_64 buildbots should be comparatively easy....

Michael