Jeremy,

Please don't cross post. Most of us are on both lists and don't really need two copies of the messages. :-)

On Oct 26, 2005, at 6:29 AM, Jeremy Matthews wrote:

When attempting to insert values into the database, I receive this WO error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: _obtainOpenChannel -- com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext [EMAIL PROTECTED]: failed to open database channel. Check your connection dictionary, and ensure your database is correctly configured.

That can mean a number of things.  EOF can be misleading in this area.

I've tested the DB, and connection, and they are fine. It's just that WO doesn't like them. I can generate SQL from EOM as well.

You can generate SQL or you can generate SQL and execute it against the database? Can you browse the database from EOModeler?

Which OS are you using?  Which IDE?

I've heard of the "index.eomodeld" file being corrupted, and that it may not have entries, or those entries may need to be rewritten. Right now this file is 99% blank, so I'm thinking this may be it.

Is this the one in the project or the one in the built .woa/.framework? What is the 1% that is not blank? If you open it in EOModeler and inspect the root node, what does the inspector say for the connection dictionary? If blank, try filling out the form.

I'd appreciate any advice or the text of what is supposed to be included in that file.

Filling it out in EOModeler is the easiest way to see what is correct.

There is also an EOJDBCConnectionAnalyzer class in the source code for PracticalWebObjects which will usually pinpoint the problem. You can download the source from Apress.com.

Coming in 2006 - an introduction to web applications using WebObjects and Xcode http://www.global-village.net/wointro