On Oct 27, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Jeremy Matthews wrote:

After many sleepless hours....

I'm using Xcode 2.1, 10.4.2, Tomcat 5.5.12, and WO 5.3, and testing against MySQL and OpenBase (separately, of course). All the JDBC adaptors are in the /Library/Java/Extensions location.

<whoop/><whoop!/>Danger Will Robinson!  Danger!

er, did you put anything else in there. The JDBC drivers should be OK. The EOF plugins are _NOT_ to go in here.

Chuck

All the database accounts I've tested with (and haven't changed one bit) have FULL access to the database. I cannot find any errors on either database, and EOM can browse them, or generate SQL against them. Other apps that use either database have no problem whatsoever.

Until recently, everything worked together fine.

Now, I get the dreaded error

"java.lang.IllegalStateException: _obtainOpenChannel -- com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext [EMAIL PROTECTED]: failed to open database channel. Check your connection dictionary, and ensure your database is correctly configured."

Since no one could explain what was going on, I trashed ALL project files and started fresh. That wasn't enough. Next, I removed the entire /Developer directory, all Package Receipts, restarted, and installed fresh. I still had the problem. I am setting the active build to deployment under the tomcat webapps folder. It builds fine. All of the app works except its interaction with any DB...which is not so good.

Once again, all of this worked fine until recently. I cannot fathom what changed all of this. I haven't made any systematic changes before all this fell out of the sky. I'm about to consider reinstalling the OS, since it may seem the shortest route to success, but I thought I'd give the experts one last crack at it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
jeremy

Coming in 2006 - an introduction to web applications using WebObjects and Xcode http://www.global-village.net/wointro