2006/5/30, Patrick Middleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The JVM on the target machine has encountered a classfile in JDK 1.5
format.  This most likely means you built using the JDK 1.5 compiler,
which became the default after a recent software update, and the
machine on which you are trying to deploy is still using the 1.4.2
JRE.  Since WebObjects has not (yet?) been qualified for Java 5, you
are best off rebuilding using JDK 1.4*, see also http://
docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75505 , as per Cliff Tuel's
email "Re: Java 1.5 & WO?' of Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:07:21 -0700 (PDT).

Hi Patrick

Unfortunately setting 'Target VM Version' to 1.4, as an article suggests,
doesn't always help. Recently I've encountered the following issue with
BigDecimals.

The problem was that in the project that I joined several months ago
many BigDecimals were initialized like this: "new BigDecimal(10)"
- on 1.4 compiler BigDecimal(double) was invoked (a number was
implicitly casted to double) and everything was OK. But after compiling
on 1.5, BigDecimal(int) was invoked (since this constructor has been
added in Java 1.5). And after deployment we've seen NoSuchMethod
exceptions.

Eventually the easiest thing was to downgrade to 1.4.
(http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060121171126988).
I only wonder how many such issues exist.

Regards,
Wiktor