Jar files are a real travesty but one thing you can exploit is that the name of a jar doesn't matter. What I do is install WebObjects and then label everything in /Library/WebObjects/Extensions so I know what jars were put there by the WO install. Then I renamed all the jars that WebObjects put there by prefixing "wo-" to the name. I don't put anything in /Library/Java/Extensions either.

I did pull saaj.jar and replaced it with the saaj jars from JWSDP 2.0 and I'm not having any conflicts. I think saaj has a validating parser that I needed but the one that ships with WO doesn't validate.

Renaming all the jars really helps when I look on the server and don't know for sure if the jar has been updated.

Marc