On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Q wrote:
On 24/08/2006, at 1:31 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:
Can you provide some details on what these classes do?

For anyone else interested, Stanford's WebAuth (http:// webauth.stanford.edu/) uses a very similar architecture and can be used in place of Cosign. The import of this is that you app can easily (probably without modification) support multiple web single sign on implementations.

Great, now you have done it.. I will have to try out both of them now. :P

On initial inspection with both these systems it seems an app writer need not concern themselves with how to log a user in, but rather how to log them out.

Logging them out is not really your concern either. If your app logs them out of the Single Sign On, then it logs them out of all apps that they may be using. It ends up that your user can log out of your app (terminate) their session and come right back in and create a new session. For total logout, you terminate the WO session, kill the SSO cookie if there is one, and redirect to the SSO page to logout.

Chuck

On Aug 23, 2006, at 6:08 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:04:24 -0400
Subject: CoSign and WebObjects
On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:24 PM, Q wrote:

On 23/08/2006, at 5:24 AM, Jonathan Maybaum wrote:

Because there continues to be discussion on the list about
GVC.SiteMaker and WO web-publishing apps, and how they compare, I
thought that I would provide a link to this presentation:

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/maybaum/files/usc-sitemaker.pdf

I think that this provides a bit more insight about what
GVC.SiteMaker (called UM.SiteMaker at the University of Michigan)
is all about.

Is the Cosign auth handling mentioned in this presentation managed
in the application or using an external module?

A little bit of both.  Authentication is managed by mod_cosign
integrated into Apache. Cosign can be backed by different credential
stores, Kerberos is used in this case.   Google cosign for the full
story.  The app checks the REMOTE_USER HTTP header to get the
identity of the authenticated user and uses that for authorization
internally. The apps also redirects to HTTPS to force authentication
if an authenticated identity is not found.

I am interested in Cosign, but haven't looked into what is required
to use it with WO.

Very little.  Just read that header and redirect to https if it is
not present.

Chuck

If folks are interested in CoSign, I'll be releasing in about six -
seven weeks some WO classes to simplify working with the system.

In the last two years we've placed three WO applications into
production.  The platform still seems viable at Michigan.

Thanks,
Barry

--

Barry A Starrfield
Lead Analyst / Programmer

University Housing
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems. http://www.global-village.net/products/ practical_webobjects

Seeya...Q

                          _____  /  Quinton Dolan - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     /    __  /   _/    /      /        Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /            Ph: +61 419 729 806
                            _\