Hi,

Tarun Reddy wrote:

On Oct 10, 2006, at 8:02 PM, shaun wrote:

Hi,

Tarun Reddy wrote:

On Oct 10, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Art Isbell wrote:

On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Tarun Reddy wrote:

Trying this in sqlplus with this statement:
UPDATE IDEA SET STATUS = "A" WHERE (IDEA_OID = 1 AND AVGRATING is NULL AND CATEGORY_OID = 6 AND IDEADESC = "afdsafadsfasfa" AND IDEANAME = "fdsfadf" AND IDEAURL is NULL AND NUMRATINGS is NULL AND PARENT_OID is NULL AND STATUS = "P" AND SUBMIT_DATE = "2006-10-08 00:00:00" AND USER_OID = 1)";

returns:
ERROR:
ORA-00972: identifier is too long

You have an unmatched double quote near the end of the above statement. This might cause the error in your sqlplus test, but probably not in your WO app.

If you eliminate the unmatched double quote, replace the remaining double quotes with single quotes, and rerun the statement in sqlplus, does the error still occur? Searching Google for "ORA-00972" produced one response that claimed that this bogus error message can occur when double quotes are used.

Another Google search results states that an incorrect column name can cause this error. Is it possible that an attribute in your eomodel has a column name that doesn't match a column name in the IDEA table?

Art,
First off, I appreciate your help!
I changed the SQL to
UPDATE IDEA SET STATUS = 'A' WHERE (IDEA_OID = 1 AND AVGRATING is NULL AND CATEGORY_OID = 6 AND IDEADESC = 'afdsafadsfasfa' AND IDEANAME = 'fdsfadf' AND IDEAURL is NULL AND NUMRATINGS is NULL AND PARENT_OID is NULL AND STATUS = 'P' AND SUBMIT_DATE = to_date ('2006-10-08 00:00:00', 'yyyy-mm-dd hh24:mi:ss') AND USER_OID = 1)
  2  ;
That returned 0 rows updated.
It seems like the SQL generated is off. I think it is the SUBMIT_DATE part. My SQL maybe off. UPDATE IDEA SET STATUS = 'A' WHERE (IDEA_OID = 1 AND AVGRATING is NULL AND CATEGORY_OID = 6 AND IDEADESC = 'afdsafadsfasfa' AND IDEANAME = 'fdsfadf' AND IDEAURL is NULL AND NUMRATINGS is NULL AND PARENT_OID is NULL AND STATUS = 'P' AND USER_OID = 1);

What is the oracle data type for the SUBMIT_DATE attribute?

Hi Shaun,

SQL> desc IDEA
----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
AVGRATING                                          FLOAT(126)
CATEGORY_OID                              NOT NULL NUMBER
IDEADESC                                  NOT NULL VARCHAR2(4000)
IDEANAME                                  NOT NULL VARCHAR2(255)
IDEA_OID                                  NOT NULL NUMBER
IDEAURL                                            VARCHAR2(255)
NUMRATINGS                                         NUMBER
PARENT_OID                                         NUMBER
STATUS                                    NOT NULL VARCHAR2(1)
SUBMIT_DATE                               NOT NULL DATE
USER_OID                                  NOT NULL NUMBER

In my EO Model

submitDate maps to SUBMIT_DATE with
External Type of DATE
Value Class (Java) of NSTimestamp
Value (not sure what this might affect) of D

I have this in my notes regarding value type:
For attributes with a Value Class of NSTimestamp the following value types are defined:
<none>

These value types affect how the data is transfer between the JDBC adaptor and the database. An empty Value Type uses get/setObject() on the ResultSet and PreparedStatement. It assumes the database can provide a value compatible with a java.sql.Timestamp. A 'D' indicates WebObject's JDBC adaptor should use get/setDate. A 't' indicates get/setTime(), and a 'T' uses get/setTimestamp(). The 'M' value type is a workaround for a bug in some MS SQLServer JDBC drivers. It only support java.sql.Date.

I thought that I used T usually, but looking at some of my models I have nothing set for a lot of the oracle DATE fields. The info above indicates that if you only want the date portion then use a D, if you want Date and time ie) a timestamp then use T.

Also, I'm using NSCalendarDate not NSTimestamp for valueClassName in my eomodels. Using NSTimestamp in the classes. I have a much older version of Oracle and WO5.3. FWIW most of my eomodels are also quite old now.

HTH.
 - shaun