EM does actually enter the empty columnName attribute into the dictionary for each attribute, but removing it as EOModeler does (so that it turns out to be null?) did not seem to have an impact (note: I have gone back and tested and confirmed that this does not matter).

I tried creating a new test project to verify or reproduce that the problem was related to the use of prototypes, or a bad column definition, or to switching from OB to MySQL, but the test project behaved perfectly, and I can't tell what the differences are between that and the project that's actually having the problem. In any case... I don't use enough of them myself for it to be worth the time solving the problem right now, so I'll be leaving it on the backburner, and will implement those fields in the biz logic instead.

I certainly seem to be running in to more than my share of weird problems lately... it's getting frustrating!

Thanks both of you for the tips,
Clark