On 23/01/2007, at 10:37, Ian Joyner wrote:

WebObjects is a fantastic competitive advantage when quoting for new jobs, because I can use it to deliver more quickly and cheaply, with a higher quality, than anything else I know of. But I wouldn't be able to do this without WOBuilder or something similar.

I was about to disagree, thinking you must have been on the other side of the planet, where there seem to be more WO jobs, but then noticed from your email address that you are only on the other side of the city ;-)

Actually, I am in Sydney, Australia. But right now I am working on a large system for a customer in California. I am not sure he is even aware that I am using WebObjects. I don't go looking for WO jobs, in fact it's a long time since I needed to go looking for jobs at all. They all come to me by word of mouth.

In some jobs I use other technologies, usually for political reasons, and quote appropriately. But when the customer has no opinion, I choose WebObjects.

And to answer the lifestyle poll, 50*, no, yes. And there is so much else to do in my life rather than programming. When I can pay the bills with 30 hours work a week (because WebObjects/WOBuilder lets me do that), the rest of the time I can do something much more enjoyable-- flying, sailing, bushwalking, being with my family, whatever.

I vote we have the next generation WOBuilder replacement. I'll even pay for a copy. But I'm too busy flying, etc, to build it myself...

* and of those 50 years, I have been writing code for 32 of them-- but lately, only when I want to.