Hallo,
I'm sorry for this off topic post, but im pulling my hair after hours of testing and looking and perhaps someone sees what I miss.

I need to call gifsicle from a java process to optimize .gif images (as imageMagick fails to do so and getting it working with ImageMagick seems to either need a very old IM version or some tuning of the tifflib. I looked into it but descided not to).

This is what I want to do:

call a exec from my java function which hands over the correct infos to gifsicle and gifsicle reading the file in and writing it optimized back to disk.

This is the error I get:
Fehler bei der KonversionTTGifsicle$Exception: Could not exec process: /usr/local/bin/gifsicle < /Library/WebServer/Documents/cmsboard/ttwcmsdaten/bilder/tmp/ 26basispaket9.gif > /Library/WebServer/Documents/cmsboard/ttwcmsdaten/bilder/tmp/ ute_nn.gif: not found. invocation line: /usr/local/bin/gifsicle < /Library/WebServer/Documents/cmsboard/ttwcmsdaten/bilder/tmp/ 26basispaket9.gif > /Library/WebServer/Documents/cmsboard/ttwcmsdaten/bilder/tmp/ ute_nn.gif. error output: null

The file is there. When I open a terminal on the server and copy
/usr/local/bin/gifsicle < /Library/WebServer/Documents/cmsboard/ttwcmsdaten/bilder/tmp/ 26basispaket9.gif > /Library/WebServer/Documents/cmsboard/ttwcmsdaten/bilder/tmp/ute_nn.gif

into the terminal gifsicle does as asked. Only difference aside from java involved/not involved: I'm logged in as root

So:
a) Do you think that what I see here is a permission problem
b) Has someone experience with calling gifsicle from java and could perhaps give me a code example of the call.

Thank you for some insight.

Regards

Ute

P.S:
This is my call:

String[] cmdArray = new String[] {
"/usr/local/bin/gifsicle "+"< "+sourceFilePath+" > "+outFilePath
};

NSMutableArray stdErrContents = new NSMutableArray();
NSMutableArray stdOutContents = new NSMutableArray();
int resultCode;
try {
resultCode = exec( cmdArray, stdOutContents, stdErrContents );
}
catch ....