On Feb 22, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Robert Snyder wrote:

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007, Cliff Tuel wrote:

OK, I have a Premier ADC account, does that qualify me or do I have
to purchase something else?  How do I actually go about getting that
fix?  Those links you gave have nothing relevant...

ADC accounts don't qualify, because they include DTS incidents, and DTS only supports WebObjects 5.3, not 5.2. The least-expensive support program that would get you the DST patch for 5.2 is OS X Server Select (which is not the
same as "ADC Select").

Hi,

Is anyone else put in a bind by this approach?

We have a large number of production WebObjects applications that are all running under 5.2.4. We are using Tiger Server, but we do not have the resources to upgrade the WO and JVM under that to 5.3.x and 1.5 for the dozens of WO applications that we have in production.

What exactly do you need to do? Why do you need to upgrade?

If it is only for the time zone problems, I have instructions on one of my blog posts about how to fix it. One does not even need WO skills to execute the fix. It is a purely java-level operation.

http://worldofwebobjects.blogspot.com/2007/01/not-exactly-masters-of- time-and-space.html

Is there something else in the later versions of WO that you need? What could that be?

These are business critical production applications. Due to our development cycle and available resources, we have not been able to
wholesale make the jump to 5.3.

To only provide support for the most current version of WebObjects-- when there is clearly a patch available for the earlier versions, but only if
you if fork over $6000--seems draconian to me.

For example, we are still able to get Solaris 8 patches from Sun without paying extra for them, and that is three versions of the OS earlier.

This approach does not appear to show a good understanding of the enterprise market and software development lifecycles.

I hope you really did not say that with a straight face.

Here's one. When will Steve Jobs finally understand the enterprise? When Pixar is making a Star Trek movie. Then, he'll get it.

We are a higher education operation. We run on tight budgets, and do not have $6,000 set aside for this. I am just trying to find out if there
are others in our same boat.

There probably are. You should be careful about assuming you need any upgrade. Actually, you should be careful about assuming anything about what Apple is going to do.

That being said. WebObjects has been moribund for enough time that even older versions are still fairly current. This DST issue threw a monkey-wrench into the situation, but if that is the only problem, there is an easy fix.

- ray