I have to start working on a plan to deploy possibly hundreds of instances of about 10 different WO applications. I currently find it extremely painful to start/stop my existing test instances using JavaMonitor (too much clicking!).

I also find Monitor painful to use when dealing with large number of applications/instances or when having to deploy often. That's why I've patched Monitor so that I can control it from scripts. You can find the patch here http://pekeler.org/software/MonitorPatch

If I had to start over creating deployment scripts, I'd take a serious look at Capistrano:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Capistrano

Christian