On Apr 3, 2007, at 7:59 AM, David Avendasora wrote:

Okay. I've given the method a new name and it is working perfectly now. I'm assuming that this applies to filtering the array of related objects as well. Yes?

BTW, did I miss something in the documentation where it tells you not to override these? I have several WO books as well, and while the examples always show using a separate method, they don't say it's required.

I would suggest that you have an issue with separating your data and your presentation. WebObjects is very much built to use Model-View- Controller methodologies. If you think of your sorting problem as a display issue, easier solutions may present themselves. I think that this is why the EOSortOrdering functionality is so abstract. It makes it easy to not sort until display time.

Of course, there are things that are awkward about this also. A lot of them have to do with the fact that the code for working in this way is very concise in Objective C. Having translated this mechanism to java, one has to do more casting and "grunt work" than seems necessary.

- ray

Thanks again for the help everyone!