2007/4/13, Francis Labrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi,

I have several WebObjects 5.3.3 / Java 1.5 applications in production
since a long time. These applications are very stable, but sometimes (i.e.
0 to 10 times per week) I get IllegalStateException from the JDBCAdaptor
adaptor claiming that is has failed to provide new primary key for an
entity. The entity involved is not always the same, and this error seems to
popup randomly.

I use the jDTS JDBC driver connected to a Microsoft SQL Server 2000
database using a custom JDBC adaptor plugin that inherits the default
MicrosoftPlugIn one. This plugin is stable since a long time.

This is the typical stack trace:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Adaptor
[EMAIL PROTECTED] failed to provide new
primary keys for entity 'Adresse'
at com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext.prepareForSaveWithCoordinator
(EODatabaseContext.java:5885)
at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOObjectStoreCoordinator.saveChangesInEditingContext
(EOObjectStoreCoordinator.java:409)
at com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext.saveChanges(
EOEditingContext.java:3226)

Did somebody already have this kind of error? I would like to track down
and fix this behavior, but I can't figure what's the cause. Did somebody
have an explanation?

I had the exactly same error in a scenario:

I usually create tables by EOModeler, I generate the EOModel File and select
Syncronize schema! and in my tables I put the primary key not modeled by the
eomodel file. It happens to me, that I need to use the primary key as a
field of a search (for example of the Order Number), and I've this error. I
realize that the problem was that EOModeler don't create primary keys on the
tables, but only set UNIQUE (selecting provide primary key generation) while
syncronizing the DB. So, when I don't model the primary key (ad default
EOModeler set) there's no problem, because the adaptor set it automatically,
but when modeling the field it doesn't provide the primary key and throw
this exception.
I've fixed the problem by setting the primary key autogeneration on the db
tables, so I don't need to thouch them.

I hope this could help, check the EOModel file, and the tables on your db.
Fixing them everything should be fine!

Kind regards,

--

*Francis Labrie*

Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, Québec, Canada

Daniele Corti
AIM: S0CR4TE5
Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]