Hi!

CoreData - the reincarnated EOF - actually uses sets. Rightfully so. To the model to-many relationships have no order. Actually to a database a to-many relationship is not all that real. It's a by- product of ato-one relationship. Ever noticed that adding an object to a to-many without also adding to the inverse relationship has no effect on persistence?

The mapping of to-many relationships is convenience as they are a business reality. I actually think EOF could do a better job at that. E.g. keeping the object graph consistent.

On the business level it often happens that to-many relationships do come with a natural sort ordering. It would have been nice for EOF to support this. E.g. the model could store a default sort order for to- many relationships. Might be a fun thing trying to enhance EOF to do just that.

A couple of years back Christian Trotobas and I wrote some code that could be reused to do just that. What we wanted were filtered relationships. Objects would have dates of validity. One could specify a current date on the editing context and from then on see only applicable objects in to-many relationships. The code was pretty convoluted and included a subclass of _EOCheapMutableArray and a custom fault handler. If there is interest I might try to dig this stuff up.

Of course there is the much simpler solution of just sorting in memory and caching the sorted member of the relationship.

Pierre