Hi!

You could also create an EOF stack or application instance for each client. On load you could walk all the entities and add a restricting qualifier.

Pierre

On Sep 4, 2007, at 8:08 PM, Sam Barnum wrote:

I'm designing a WO app where multiple clients maintain their own discreet sets of data. However, I'd like to keep everything in a single database.

Certain entities are "global", meaning shared among all clients. A good example would be a table containing status names for jobs. This is the same for all clients.

Other entities are "compartmentalized", meaning once a user from client A logs in, he can only fetch records which are linked to client A (never from client B). A good example would be the "project" entity.

Now the tricky part. I'd like to automate this filtering, so I don't have to explicitly qualify "client=A" for every fetch against Projects I do. Ideally, a user can use a D2W interface to do a search for projects beginning with "P", and it will only return results for his client.

My plan is to subclass EOEditingContext, and have it apply a custom qualifier to any fetch against a "compartmentalized" entity. I'm already using a subclass of EOEditingContext which keeps a reference to the logged in user, for setting "modified by" flags automatically. Almost all EOF activity uses this custom subclass already.

Before I implement this, I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions on how to implement this, or an alternate approach, or dire words of warning. I don't think I'm breaking any EOF commandments here, but it still feels pretty invasive.

Thanks, all!