On Sep 5, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Simon McLean wrote:

Hi -

We're experiencing some pretty bad deadlock issues at the moment and I'm pretty convinced it's down to EC lock abuse.

What makes you think that? As Guido indicated, if you don't have stack traces you are just guessing. Guessing is not an effective form of debugging. :-)

Can anyone confirm that if we follow these rules:

** If you do want all that Wonder magic and love:
1) extend ERXApplication
2) extend ERXSession
3) use ERXEC.newEditingContext() instead of new EOEditingContext()
4) Add to Properties:
er.extensions.ERXApplication.useEditingContextUnlocker=true
er.extensions.ERXEC.defaultAutomaticLockUnlock=true
er.extensions.ERXEC.useSharedEditingContext=false
er.extensions.ERXEC.defaultCoalesceAutoLocks=true"

... we should never have to manually lock or unlock an EC ? Or put another way, when using these rules is there any situation that we would have to call ec.lock() or ec.unlock() in our code ?

You are probably safe for general EC usage there, but you can still do other bad things and end up deadlocked.

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.