Java's SimpleDateFormat can be set not to allow for lenient parsing. Unfortunately NSTimestampFormatter lacks this ability.

I have created a subclass of NSTimestampFormatter which for parsing uses an instance of SimpleDateFormat to create a Date which I then convert to an NSTimestamp

IIRC SimpleDateFormat is not thread safe. Oh joy!

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.