You don't need open source if a closed-source library is sufficiently documented. One of the reasons for the popularity of open source is that the open-source proponents don't want to provide documentation, just give you the source and say "you go work it out".

Of course there are other very attractive reasons for open source, but something should not be discounted because it is not open source, neither is open source the solution to all problems. I think I liked Miguel's dream.

Ian