On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Q wrote:

MySQL is a lot better than it was 10 years ago, but it still has a habit of playing fast and loose with certain types of input validation, silently discarding or changing certain types of data and allowing invalid queries. It still has a brain damaged query optimiser and the query analyser is next to useless compared to many other databases. Their clustering is still a poor mans solution, and doesn't scale to large databases. That said, we still use it for several, non WO, systems and provided you know the long list of caveats and avoid the issues they pose it works very well as a basic db.

I really, really like PostgreSQL, it has almost everything you could possible need, save for a few very advanced features only available in top dollar systems, the query planner is extremely good, and the various inbuilt analysis features are very useful, but what it really lacks is a solid, two phase commit, clustering solution.

FirebirdSQL is actually extremely good for something with such a small footprint, however it lacks deferred constrain validation, which makes it a little difficult to utilise constraints fully with WO, but there are people using it with WO. It also lacks a non- commercial clustering solution. It is also very resilient to crashes and unexpected shutdown. I would rank it higher than MySQL.

Interesting. I used Interbase years ago with Delphi and I really liked it. MS SQL also also deferred constraint validation (which is NOT a vote for MS SQL!!!). I added a DB context class to Wonder that orders the operations to maintain FK containt validity. So far it has handled everything I have thrown at it. I don't see why it would not work with Firebird as well.

Chuck

Frontbase is just rock solid, a perfect match for WO. It's clustering is the best I have seen. Unfortunately it flies below the radar of most people, but then so does WO.

Until postgresql gets a solid clustering solution, frontbase comes out in front in my opinion.

None of them are bad choices.