Yes it is the passing of the tools and the ease of getting everything to work and coupled with the integration that really hurts the novice. One thing I fail to understand is, If Apple is going to kill these tools why not just pass them on to the WO community here and let you people make them better if you want.
These tools were written ten years ago, and I suspect Apple doesn't want to deal with the fact that it might not reflect well on them releasing the source, which is probably not-so-pretty these days.
Incidentally this was sent prior to Chuck's comment on this thread, and I hadn't considered that part, but he's absolutely right ... Open sourcing EOModeler requires open sourcing EOF, which will never happen.

Anyway, it's not going to happen, so none of this really matters. I explicitly asked all the involved parties for access to the source to both applications and was told that would not happen. No point in getting upset with this, because it won't change anything. The best thing people can do is move on and start using the new tools and help make them better.

ms