On 29/10/2007, at 9:30 PM, Paul Lynch wrote:

I am very much a WO novice, just working my way through Ruzek's "WO
web application construction kit".

WOWACK is a little old now, being WO 4.5; but I still like it the best of the entry level books.

Yes, it still seems to be usable. Well, it was usable given I had worked through about half of it before upgrading to Leopard and losing the Apple GUI tools. I don't know how someone would go starting from scratch with WOWACK now...

What I
_thought_ I could do was replace the literal declaration of
fetchSpecification for the WODisplayGroup (which I just copied over
from something auto-generated from WO Builder) with a reference to a
method in the component's Java class that returned an
EOFetchSpecification.  That is, instead of this:

           dataSource = {
               class = EODatabaseDataSource;
               editingContext = "session.defaultEditingContext";
               fetchSpecification = {
                   class = EOFetchSpecification;
                   entityName = Task;
                   fetchLimit = 0;
                   isDeep = YES;
               };
           };

I tried this:

           dataSource = {
               class = EODatabaseDataSource;
               editingContext = "session.defaultEditingContext";
               fetchSpecification = activeFetchSpec;
           };

Try:

fetchSpecification = "activeFetchSpec";

for your binding, assuming that this is a method in the component that returns a fetch spec.

That didn't _seem_ to work (it was the method returning an EOFetchSpecification), but I've now changed several things since I asked the question, most notably upgrading to WO 5.4. I've also ditched the idea of using WODisplayGroups in the application anyway. If I take another look at it later and work it out, I'll reply to the list.

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/
h  http://paul.hoadley.name/