On Jan 27, 2008, at 7:07 AM, Jean-François Veillette wrote:

subversion is a nice improvement over cvs, but if you are going to switch, now is the time to take a look at the other options ...

Take a look at git (and/or mercurial) :
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/cvs-migration.html
I think git's branching model is way better than the directory copy of svn. And other (I've not used svn enough to tell myself) say that the merging capabilities of svn are not really better to cvs, if compared to git. git only require one .git/ directory at the root of it, not in every directory inside, so you won't have any problem with tools integrations. git already has 2 nice gui (built with tcl-tk), it has web front-end, and even the start of an eclipse plug-in.

I've used cvs for far too long (and still have to). I've played with svn for a short time period. I've used bzr for nearly 2 years, I've now switched to git for nearly one year. I'm very pleased with the result ! I've successfully converted many cvs repository (amongst them wonder's repository), and it make the history more clear and easier to follow.

svn + svk is actually pretty interesting. svk is a set of perl scripts that make local branches and sharing branches between users much easier and more along the bzr model but with the idea that at some point, you're going to commit everything to a master repository anyways. Just using svk to manage your local branches can be pretty cool.

Except unless there's an eclipse plugin for it, I really wouldn't consider it for WO development...

 Pierce