After running through the autogenerated web.xml through xmllint, I found an error which corresponds to the glassfish deployment error. I removed the following line and xmllint validates it.

 <context-param>
        <param-name>WEBINFROOT</param-name>
        <param-value>%WEBINFROOT%</param-value>
 </context-param>

If I place this context-param before the <servlet> tags, it also validates.

Checking the DTD

<!ELEMENT web-app (icon?, display-name?, description?, distributable?,
context-param*, servlet*, servlet-mapping*, session-config?,
mime-mapping*, welcome-file-list?, error-page*, taglib*,
resource-ref*, security-constraint*, login-config?, security-role*,
env-entry*, ejb-ref*)>

From my limited knowledge of reading dtds, does it appear that all context-params must be placed before servlet tags?

If this is the case, how do I go about changing the template for the autogenerated web.xml file?