On Apr 22, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

Okay, I'll get the ability to read the "er.extensions.eoattribute.default" along with the simpler "Default" from the userInfo dictionary setup in the ERXMicrosoftPlugIn like it is in the FrontbasePlugIn, and then hand it off you you and Chuck for review.
"Default" is a contrivance added in the FB plugin only, and is not used by anything, so I wouldn't bother. I actually would have used "Default" except that FB decided to define that thing as having an unclear attribute formatting, which I why I defined a new one.

Okay. No problem.

Out of curiosity, what does the defaultValue parameter as defined in the Wonder API for ERXMigrationsTable.newXxxxColumn() do?

For example:
http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wonder/api/er/extensions/migration/ERXMigrationTable.html#newStringColumn(java.lang.String,%20int,%20boolean,%20java.lang.String)
It gets passed as a default value for the database column (you can see the sql it generates). This exists only to accommodate migrations from allows null true to allows null false to deal with existing data and should not be relied on for ANYTHING else.

Hmm...

Microsoft is so helpful in that after the initial creation of a table it doesn't allow you to add a new column and mark it as NOT NULL without defining a default value. You can _not_ create the column, then populate it after. You have to do it all in one function. I suppose the work around it to create it as NULL, then _change_ it to NOT NULL with a second function. It would be nice to handle it so it is invisible to the developer that SQL Server is a PITA though...

Dave