On May 08, 2008, at 10:47, Kieran Kelleher wrote:

15 entities with 30 max records per entity = max 450 records. ...... even with 100 attributes this is probably trivial data size, so I would not go out of my way to avoid Single Table inheritance for the sake of avoiding a lot of null fields in the database.

Point taken. Though I was more worried about the ugliness then anything else...

If it was me, for such a complex inheritance hierarchy, I would use the Strategy Design pattern and not use inheritance at all since I have found that complex inheritance can be a PITA to refactor as the requirements change/grow over life of the app.... and the bonus is the complete avoidance of EOF inheritance bugs :-)

I don't really understand what you mean... Isn't Strategy used to easily swap functionalities, processing code? How does that work with storing data? Are you thinking of using a single attribute to store all sorts of things in it, depending on the type of record, or something? If so, how does that deal with relationships? I've never done this, so I don't get what you're saying...

Also, there might be opportunity to segment some lesser used property groups into optional related objects if the domain model lends itself to that

Not really, would only make it messier in my case...