On 13/06/2008, at 12:48 PM, Ray Kiddy wrote:

On Jun 12, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Don Lindsay wrote:

Hello;

There is quite a bit of enterprise support at Apple.

Yes, I hear you. And I know that Apple does do some enterprise things. It is unusual to hear Steve talk about them, though. And frankly, there are things we do, like saying "no road maps", that means the guys in the red ties will always be able to shoot us down.

And as far as Apple marketing to the enterprise, well, let's not go there.

Could they have inherited the old Burroughs' Sales Prevention Force?

My wife pointed out that "enterprise support" in this context probably meant a company would be able to buy iPhones with service for their employees.

cheers - ray

OS X:

Supports home directory encryption with file vault
Supports CAC cards with no additional software
Supports logging into an OS X server, Microsoft Active directory or both.
Able to be locked down as a corporate desktop.
Pushed shares from corporate OS X Servers.
Pushed applications from corporate OS X Servers.
Pushed updates and OS installation from corporate OS X Servers.
Remote Desktop for troubleshooting of machine remotely.
VPN connectivity.
MS Exchange connectivity, although lamely over IMAP.

OS X Server:

 Allows for integration into existing Windows network.
 Allows for configuration of Desktop rules
 Allows for netbooting
 Update caching services for workstations
 workgroup manager for managing machines
 Can act as a BDC or PDC for windows Active Directory.
Allows sharing of Drives across multiple transport (SMB, AppleTalk, NFS)
 And much more

IPhone:

Version 2.0 of the IPhone software contains connectivity for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync meaning you can now get your corporate email on the IPhone from an exchange server, just like you can with MS Smartphones. Version 2.0 of the IPhone software contains a Cisco VPN client, allowing IT people and employees to access their corporate networks without having to install additional VPN software on their device.
And other corporate enhancements.

Don