I am about to implement a JavaClient focused versioning system to evaluate the compatibility between the client and the server during client startup. It is something that is a requirement in our situation (JC + JBND apps, separated server client projects etc).

What kinds of things are you trying to catch? Things like if a invokeRemoteMethod("clientSideRequestFoo", keys[], values[]) is called that it will verify that the clientSideRequestFoo with the defined parameters actually exists? That would be nice.

Hm, I did intend to put some basic RMI stuff in, I guess I can put this too. I am not sure how much benefit this will bring us. It will not give us compile time checking when writing RMI code, and if you try to invoke a non existing method you get a runtime exception anyway... What would you like to gain by this? A suggestion for the API?

Note that I can make both the server and the client side, I think I will provide a custom superclass to be used by the server side JavaClient WO component, so a lot can be automated without the need to afterwards do anything else except subclass the custom stuff.

Also note that this will be the starting point for WOJCKit, an open source project where I plan to put this sort of generic stuff.

Wow. You are the Mike Schrag of JC! First JBND, now this? (no offense to all the other Wonder/Wolips contributors)

I'm also hoping at some point to build something like an AppKit for JBND, and WOJC. JBND is concerned only with binding GUI components to data, WOJCKit will be concerned with client - server related issues. AppKit (I guess it would need a different name) should be a framework for building JC applications (architecture). Then I also might implement a Derby or XML based local persistence for JBND apps. That all together should give a nice base to start building the *really* cool stuff on top ;)

Why off list? The more this type of thing is discussed on-list the more people may chime in with similar non-JC ideas.

Fair enough. To visualize this it is important to know that the WOJCKit will have at some point a division into three packages: client, server, common. Client and server sometimes subclassing common stuff. That said, here's my current versioning idea:

1. Have a "Version" class that is common to the server and the client, have a client subclass of it: "ClientVersion"
2. Have Version contain the following info:
- app name and supported modules (modules being groups of Entities that are interdependent)
        -       model versioning numbers (major, minor, correction)
- have it somehow try to automagically load version info from some sort of a property file
3. Have some additional stuff in ClientVersion:
- client app versioning numbers (major, minor, correction, bug), these would be in the ClientVersion
4. Have a string formatting / parsing support for all of the above
5. Provide RMI based functionality to compare the client and the server, comparison criteria would be: - app name and supported modules (server needs to support *at least* all of the modules used by the client)
        -       model versioning numbers (only major and minor)

Comments?