On Jun 26, 2008, at 11:11 PM, John Lennard wrote:

On Jun 26, 2008, at 9:22 PM, John Lennard wrote:

Okay,
So I will try this again, having been bested by my mail program :-/

I restrained myself from poking fun at you.  :-P

You are more than welcome to poke fun, i deserve it.. it has been one of those Fridays.. perhaps i should give up on computers and learn to weld stainless steel...

There was some talk a few weeks ago about starting up a WO Refugees Commune. Grow some vegetables, herd some goats, ferment some wine in some idyllic country location. I'd pick that over welding stainless steel.

Firstly, is it possible to attach Eclipse as a debugger to a remote running instance in order to see why things are fouling up. I have read Andrew Lindesay's document on using jdb, but I am hoping that there may be a way to debug everything in a little more detail. Worst case, I can pester him since he is in the office next door :-p

I am not sure, but jstack can give you a thread dump which is often all that you need to know.

Thanks, i never knew about that one, looks alot easier than doing the whole jdb dance.

The processes that are deadlocking tend to also then not want to be killed by the monitor and need to be dealt with the good old fashioned way and need to be killed with a sig KILL...

Two things come immediately to mind:

1. You have created non-daemon threads that are not shutting down
2. Your session sleep() or terminate() is throwing and creating sessions that never die

Thanks this sounds like somewhere to at least start poking about..

Have you gotten anywhere on this?

I will need to throw in some additional logging, however the application is primarily direct action based, and does not create sessions in the mode of operation that we are experiencing problems. But i will have a closer look at how it is handing its editing contexts and what not and where they are coming from.

Are you sure there are no sessions getting created? I remember starting work on an app that this claim was made for. I added this to the session's constructor:

NSLog.out.appendln(new RuntimeException("Session created here");

Hmmm, seems like quite a few sessions were getting created after all. :-) I it is worth double checking.

A thread dump may help to sort this out.

Secondly, has anybody else seen or experienced these zombie webobjects processes that appear after monitor/wotaskd restarts. I have already tried the wonder monitor and wotaskd and these dont seem to fix anything.

What do you mean by zombie webobjects processes? How are you restarting monitor/wotaskd. More information on what you are doing / seeing may help.

Well not so much webobjects processes, but badly behaved java .. and Zombie is mean in the unix sense.. not the living dead, brain eating sense.. eg

root 9752 0.0 -0.0 0 0 ?? Z 1Jan70 0:00.00 (java)

The problem, is not so much that they are there, but that they tend to take resources/handles with them and wotaskd needs to be stopped to make them go away and nothing is providing any details as to what is causing it.

Something is starting and then not dying in a nice way.

I don't think I have ever seen that before! You may be dealing with something entirely different here.

I am currently starting up the wotaskd with the standard launchd script and we generally only start the monitor when needed either via the command line or via the server admin tools.

Typically what happens is that i will stop wotaskd and ensure that there are no running webobjects apps and then restart wotaskd in order to bring every thing back to life and i will then notice zombie java processes like what i have shown above.

Do you have a lot of instances? Could this be instances waiting in early start up?

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.