And yeah... I guess that example is specific to NSDictionary. In NSArray's case... something to do with NSKeyValueCoding conformance maybe?

Clark

On 13-Dec-08, at 6:39 PM, Clark Mueller wrote:

Oh, I see. You wanted explanation. :-)

I suppose that if nothing else it would be for historical reasons, but I was under the impression there was a point to NSNull. Specifically, aren't there scenarios where you might want to distinguish a null pointer from querying for the "presence" of a null value?

For example, in WO, if you're using an NSDictionary "bindings" for query bindings, you might want to query for some attribute "myAttribute" that equals NULL in your database, so you would do something like bindings.setObjectForKey(NSKeyValueCoding.NullValue, "myAttribute"). So when EOF is constructing the qualifier, it knows that it should produce "WHERE my_attribute = NULL", but that when bindings.objectForKey("myOtherAttribute") is null (as in a null pointer), it knows that's not an attribute you want to qualify on.

Am I wrong? Wouldn't the same apply to some scenarios in Cocoa in the context of Core Data? Or certainly, to the defunct Objective-C version of WO?

Clark