Hello Lachlan;

I _think_ (correct me if I'm wrong) Florijan would like to store a logical date rather than a timestamp. For example, he would like to store the date 2008-09-28. The requirement being that the same date is applicable to all timezones because it is composited from year/ month/day and is thus independent of timezones. An example where this might be useful is to store birthdays. For example, a birthday is 1980-08-08. If I should decide to live in Munich for a while (I presently live in Auckland) then the same birthday applies, but if I stored it as a timestamp then it would have shifted to another day while I live in Munich. Hence the difficulty storing these things as timestamps.

cheers.

When you say textually - it appears you mean relatively i.e., translated into each users local timezone - given that you say you'll represent this date in up to 3 possible days depending on the user's local time. So again, I don't understand why you want to distort the date initially provided rather than simply storing it as its GMT equivalent and then presenting it according to whatever timezone is required - which the SimpleDateFormat(ter) will do automatically.

___
Andrew Lindesay
www.lindesay.co.nz