John,

I'll try to do some speculating based on what you say....

1. Your project relies on Eclipse's Incremental build to copy the .gif resources to the bin output folder of your project 2. WOLips compile target does *not* copy those resources to bin, but only compiles .java files 3. Your jarring of the client side code (added to the build.xml I presume?) jars the content of the bin folder

If this is all true (and you could verify), then I guess the problem in the situation is that WOCompile does not deal with anything that's not a .java file. Ergo only java sources get compiled and copied to the bin output folder. Which would be a fundamental difference between Eclipse's incremental builder and the WOLips ant compilation process.

Workarounds I can think of:
1. Separate your client and server projects. This is what I do, however I do not do WebStart. If you are, this might be slightly more difficult to do (though not at all impossible). However it might not chime well with your deployment process. 2. Add some ant magic to your build.xml to manually copy .gif (and other resources) to your bin output as a part of the ant build.
3. Continue with the hack that you are already doing.
4. David Avendasora and Mike Schrag have been working on WOJC additions to the ant build process (which are AFAICS all WebStart focused), so you might want to coordinate with them.

On a side note, the first thing I do for my new WO projects is turn the Incremental builder off (in project properties). I rely solely on WOLips ant, exactly to avoid this kind of confusion. However, I think that the JC / WebStart additions to WOLips depend on it...

Hope this helps,

p.s. - also I'd be interested to hear how exactly are you setting up your client/server code, perhaps we could discuss it...