Without even looking, I'd guess that ERXRequest.remoteHostAddress() is looking for an HTTP header REMOTE_ADDR (this is not really an HTTP header, it's a CGI environment variable, but WebObjects presents it as a header).

I have under some circumstances that I can't remember found that sometimes REMOTE_ADDR was not the right thing to look for; with the systems I have to hand running Apache 1.3.41 and Apache 2.2.6 on 10.5.x, REMOTE_ADDR.

If possible, enable /cgi-bin/printenv on the server where this is a problem and make an HTTPS call to discover the name of the CGI environment variable containing the address for which you are looking; then, in your code, if ERXRequest.remoteHostAddress() returns "127.0.0.1", use the API for getting at HTTP headers to look for that name instead.